Do Vegans Live Longer? Is it for REAL!!
Do vegans live longer?
The vegan diet has many health benefits, including healthier gut profiles, lower risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes, lower blood pressure, lower chances of heart disease, and certain cancers. There are many more benefits that we can obtain from a vegan diet.
Evidence that signifies that vegans live longerOne large analysis of vegans and vegetarians in the United Kingdom, Germany, Japan and the United States suggested that they have a 9% lower risk of death from all causes when we compare them with omnivores. In North America, another study was examined on the Seventh Day Adventists diet. It is a diet in which people commonly consume plant-based, rich in whole foods and foods that are free from alcohol and caffeine. There are some people who also consume small amounts of eggs, meat or dairy in this type of diet. The results of the study were that vegetarians and vegans may have a 12% lower risk of death when compared with meat-eaters. However, there are also studies that report that they are no more likely to live more than non-vegetarians. Thus we cannot say that there is an absolute link between veganism and lifespan.
Reasons why vegans may live longer
1. Vegans do not eat meat in any formThis is one of the main reason why vegans tend to live longer than meat-eaters. Processed meats like salamis, sausages, hams, bacon and canned meat fall under class-1 carcinogens, it is the same classification asbestos, tobacco smoking and radioactive barium. This means that these are as strong as smoking tobacco and asbestos. Meats of all kinds, even white meat like chicken, contain high levels of cholesterol and saturated fat which are linked with cardiovascular risk. Dairy and eggs are some other products that have high saturated fat. Vegans are an advantage as they do not consume any of these products. Meat and dairy may contain hormones and antibiotics which are given to livestock to increase their weight and feed efficiency. When people consume these meat and dairy products it may affect their health in various ways.
2. Vegans eat diets that are rich in nutritional compoundsVegans exclude all animal-based foods, including dairy, meat, eggs and any other products delivered from animals. Vegans follow a diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole grains, nuts and seeds. Some researches prove that diets loaded with these plant foods help people to live longer. Moreover, vegan diets mostly tend to have plenty of plant protein, fibre and antioxidants. Diets that include these nutrients can safeguard our body against obesity, cancer, type 2 diabetes and heart disease. As their diet protects them from so many diseases they have chances of living longer.
3. Vegans tend to eat healthy foodsAs vegans do not eat anything that is obtained from animals they replace those calories with fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. Most vegans are also health-conscious and this may be one reason why they live longer. But not all vegans are health conscious as there are vegans who eat junk food. Protective bioactive compounds like antioxidants, fibre, polyphenols, minerals and vitamins are found in fruits and vegetables which work through numerous complex mechanisms to help reduce antioxidants stress, lower blood levels of VLDL and LDL cholesterol, and also helps to maintain healthy body weight. Higher consumption of these vegan foods can help in reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes, lower risk of developing several cancers, lower risk of being overweight and reduced risk of heart diseases. Another benefit obtained from a higher intake of fruits and vegetables is that it reduces overall mortality risk. Some research also shows that vegans are less likely to smoke or drink alcohol, and they are also likely to maintain body mass index. They maintain body weight by regular exercise and by avoiding processed junk foods.
All vegans do not live longer
- What is Veganism? Why is Going Vegan becoming a Trend?
- What do Vegans Eat for Breakfast? Easy and Delicious Ideas
- Do Vegans Eat Shrimp? Is Shrimp Vegan?
- Do Vegans Drink Breast Milk? Misconceptions about Breastfeeding a Baby
- Do Vegans Eat Pasta? Is Pasta Vegan?
- Do Vegans Drink Alcohol? Is Alcohol Vegan? Complete Guide
- Do Vegans Eat Cheese? Is Cheese Vegan?
- Do Vegans Eat Fish? Alternative to Fish!!!
- Should I Go Vegan or Vegetarian? All You Need to Know
- Do Vegans Eat Eggs? Are Eggs Vegan?
- Do Vegans Eat Bread? Is Bread Vegan or Not?
- Vegan Food Most Commonly Consumed Around The World
- High Protein Vegan Foods You Must Eat
- What Can You Eat as a Vegan? Ultimate Guide
- Vegan vs Vegetarian: Major Difference Between The Two